The Nukeproof Dissent 290 Frame: A privateer’s dream downhill bike
Developed in conjunction with the world’s fastest riders, downhill mountain bike racing is baked into the Dissent’s DNA.
Remarkably tunable, ultra-stable and designed to go really, really fast, the Dissent 290 is a high-performance downhill bike equally at home in the bike park as it is between the tape on a World Cup track.
The frame-only version of the Dissent 290 comes with the stellar-performing RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate DH RC shock, the same shock that comes stock on the Dissent 290 RS complete bike. Being just a frame, the rest of the build is up to you — make it into your own big mountain shredder.
Like many of Nukeproof’s best bikes, the Dissent started life as a test mule that performed so well, we decided to put it into production. The resulting bike is a privateer racer’s dream — armed with a series of flip chips that allow you to tailor the bike to your style and specific terrain, the Dissent gives you the power to fine-tune your setup like a factory rider.
How it Rides
Every production bike begins life as a test mule, but few test mules ever make it to production.
When we were developing the Dissent, we built a modifiable frame — a “test mule” — with suspension linkage and chainstays that could be adjusted on the fly by engineers testing various spring curves in the real world. Realizing the prototype rode really well and this adjustability might be something our riders would like, we refined the adjustment points, cleaned up the mule and, viola! The Dissent came to be.
It’s built on a custom hydroformed 6061 aluminum frame with 190mm of travel in the rear paired with a burly 200mm fork out front. At the main pivot of the rear suspension is a four-position flip chip that gradually ramps up shock progressivity as you cycle through the settings.
- Setting 1: 17% Progression – Starts with the least progressive rate off the top, has the most mid stroke support and then ramps up the least at the end. Sam Hill's setting of choice.
- Setting 2: 21% Progression – What we consider the “Goldilocks” position — It’s just right! Our recommended setting that suits most riders most of the time and is the stock setting shipped on the Dissent.
- Setting 3: 26% Progression – This is the position that Adam Brayton prefers and has raced to several medals already this year. If it is progressive enough for “Gas to Flat” himself, then it is probably progressive enough for you too!
- Setting 4: 30% Progression - Starts with the most progressive rate off the top (most supple over small bumps) and has the least mid-stroke support, but then ramps up the most at the end. Great for riding a bike park with loads of braking bumps and massive jumps and drops.
We’ve been clever in how we’ve engineered the flip chip so as you cycle through the settings there is just a 1% change in sag — meaning you won’t need to change spring rate as you flip the chip. Geometry and travel are also not altered as you change settings. Lastly, at the rear of the bike there are adjustable dropouts that allow for a quick change in wheelbase for further custom tuning.
Designed to instill confidence while hauling absolute ass through the jankiest of tracks, the Dissent is a racer’s dream.
|Frame||Nukeproof Dissent 290 Alloy, 190mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, custom tuned rear shock configuration, internal cable routing, Enduro bearings, threaded bottom bracket, boost 157mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection||Nukeproof Dissent 290 Alloy, 190mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, custom tuned rear shock configuration, internal cable routing, Enduro bearings, threaded bottom bracket, boost 157mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection||Nukeproof Dissent 290 Alloy, 190mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, custom tuned rear shock configuration, internal cable routing, Enduro bearings, threaded bottom bracket, boost 157mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection|
|Fork||RockShox Boxxer Select Charger RC, 29”, 200mm travel, 46mm Offset, BOOST 20x110mm, Debonair, Gloss Black||RockShox Boxxer Ultimate, Charger 2, 29", 200mm travel, 46mm Offset, BOOST 20x110mm, Debonair, Boxxer Red|
|Shock||RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Select R, Custom Tune Compression LIN, Rebound L, 250x70mm, Bearing End, Black Coil Spring (M=400LBS/L=450LBS /XL=500LBS SPRING)||RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate DH RC, Custom Tune Compression LIN, Rebound L, 250x70mm, Bearing End, Red Coil Spring (M=400LBS/L=450LBS /XL=500LBS SPRING)||RockShox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate DH RC, Custom Tune Compression LIN, Rebound L, 250x70mm, Bearing End, Red Coil Spring (M=400LBS/L=450LBS /XL=500LBS SPRING)|
|Front Wheel||Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 29", 20x110mm||Nukeproof Horizon V2 DH 29", 20x110mm|
|Rear Wheel||Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 29", Shimano Driver, 157x12mm||Nukeproof Horizon V2 DH 29", HG Freehub, 157x12mm|
|Tyres||Front: Michelin DH22 29”x2.4, TLR/ Rear: Michelin DH22 29”x2.4, TLR||Front: Michelin DH22 29”x2.4, TLR/ Rear: Michelin DH22 29”x2.4, TLR|
|Crankset||SRAM Descendant DH, 165mm, 34T, DUB83mm||SRAM XO1 DH Carbon X-Sync, 165mm, 34T, DUB83mm, Black|
|Shifter||SRAM GX 7-Speed||SRAM XO1 7-Speed, Red|
|Rear Deraileur||SRAM GX 7-Speed||SRAM XO1 7-Speed, Red|
|Chain||SRAM PC-1110 11-Speed||SRAM PC-1110 11-Speed|
|Cassette||SRAM GX DH 7-Speed, PG720 11-25T||SRAM PG720 DH 7-Speed, 11-25T|
|Chain Guide||MRP G4 CS 34-38T ISCG 05||MRP Mini G4 32-36T ISCG-05|
|Brakes||SRAM Guide RE, Sintered pads||SRAM Code R, Sintered pads|
|Front Rotor||SRAM Centreline, 220mm||SRAM Centreline, 220mm|
|Rear Rotor||SRAM Centreline, 200mm||SRAM Centreline, 200mm|
|Handlebars||Nukeproof Neutron 25mm Rise, Width - M780mm, L800mm, XL800mm||Nukeproof Horizon 25mm Rise, Width - M780mm, L800mm, XL800mm|
|Stem||Nukeproof Horizon Direct Mount, 45mm, black||Nukeproof Horizon Direct Mount, 45mm, black|
|Seatpost||Nukeproof Neutron, 30.9mm, 300mm, 10 Offset||Nukeproof Neutron, 30.9mm, 300mm, 10 Offset|
|Headset||Nukeproof, 49IITS||Nukeproof, 49IITS||Nukeproof, 49IITS|
|Grips||Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature||Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature|
|Bearings||Enduro Bearings||Enduro Bearings||Enduro Bearings|
|Weight: (Size Medium)||17.4Kg (Tubeless)||16.76kg (Tubeless)||5.14Kgs/11.3lbs (Complete frame)|
Geometry & Sizing
|(C) Effective Top Tube Length||590||610||630|
|(D) Seattube Length||405||405||405|
|(E) Effective Seattube Angle||76°||76°||76°|
|(F) Seattube Angle (Actual)||67.91°||67.91°||67.91°|
|(G) Saddle Height at Saddle Offset||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|(H) Saddle Offset at Saddle Height||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|(I) Headtube Length||110||110||110|
|(J) Headtube Angle||63°||63°||63°|
|(K) Chainstay Length||445/450/455||445/450/455||445/450/455|
|(L) Front Centre||814||834||854|
|(N) Bottom Bracket Drop||-20||-20||-20|
|(O) Bottom Bracket Height||357.5||357.5||357.5|
|(P) Stand Over Height||677.9||676.9||675.9|
|(Q) Fork Travel||200||200||200|
|(S) Fork Offset||46||46||46|
|(T) Axle to Crown||602||602||602|
|(U) Maximum Seatpost Insert||134||134||134|
*All dimensions in mm unless otherwise stated
- Frame Spec
- Tech Docs
- Where can I buy Nukeproof Bikes?
- Nukeproof bikes, components and apparel is sold through an authorised dealer network. Check out our dealer locator for your local local stockist or preferred online store www.nukeproof.com/dealers
- Do your bikes come with Warranty?
- All Dissent frames come with a 2 year frame warranty (Please visit www.nukeproof.com/warranty for full info). On top of that we also offer an extended 2-year warranty on all components excluding wear and tear items such as bearings, brake pads, chains & cassettes etc. Our Warranty policy applies to the original owner and processed by our authorised retail partners. To see their warranty process check: www.nukeproof.com/warranty
- Where can I demo a Nukeproof bike?
- We run numerous demo's through the year at major events and with our dealer network. Check out www.nukeproof.com/demo for when we may be near you. If this is unavailable to you, you can always request a demo through your local authorised stockist.
- What size bike do I need?
- All our products come with a size guide. This is designed as an indication of the size that may suit you. If you are still unsure speak with one of our dealers who will be happy to help you pick the right size and model for you
- How does you bike range work?
- Our range is named based on specification level. Not every Bike Frame will have each specification level, but in order of price they run: Sport - Race - Comp - Pro - Elite- Factory/ST (Reactor Only) - RS
|Material:||Hydroformed 6061 Triple-Butted Aluminium|
|Axle to Crown:||602mm|
|Max Tyre Size:||2.5"|
|Recommended Shock Sag (Measured standing):||30%|
|Shock Hardware F:||25x8mm|
|Shock Hardware R:||30x8mm|
|Headset:||ZS49-28.6 / ZS49/40|
|Bearings Required:||6x BB 6902 LLU MAX, 2x 63804-2RS MAX|
|BB:||Threaded 83mm BSA|
|Rear Hub:||Boost 157x12mm|
|Rear Axle:||Nukeproof M12x1.75 198mm|
|Brake Mount:||200mm Direct Post|
|Protection:||3D Contoured Rubber Frame Protection for DT/SS/CS|