The Nukeproof Mega 297 Alloy Frame: Go fast or go home
A between-the-tape slayer built on the tenets of balance, predictability and absolute speed.
Originally built as the “downhiller’s trailbike” designed specifically to tackle the infamous MEGAVALANCHE enduro in France, the Nukeproof Mega has been racking up enduro stage wins and press accolades for over ten years.
The frame only version of the Mega 297 Alloy is fitted with the RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT shock, giving the bike 160mm of travel at the rear end. The Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT is the most tunable shock RockShox has ever made. The RC2T Damper features 100% independent high speed and low speed compression adjustment so you can tune it exactly as you like.
At the core of this fourth generation Mega is suspension designed to be utterly thrashed through technical terrain. The redesigned frame sports new geometry and uses a mixed-wheel setup with a 29-inch wheel out front and 27.5-inch in the rear — a best of both worlds setup with solid rollover ability and a flickable rear end.
How it Rides
After winning four Enduro World Series Titles in three years, the all-new Mega is an evolution of our ultimate Enduro bike. It’s progressive, predictable and is the culmination of more than a decade’s worth of refinement — a true labor of love.
In the uncompromising pursuit of the ideal balance between weight, strength and stiffness, the Nukeproof Mega Alloy 297 is built around a T6061-T6 aluminum frame. Its long, low and slack geometry is designed around our saddle offset principle, which adjusts seat tube angle across the size range to ensure the seated riding position is perfect, no matter the rider’s height.
Everything on the bike has been carefully designed for racing and hard enduro riding. We've carved out space inside the front triangle of the frame for a 750ml water bottle, the seat tube is designed for slammed dropper posts and we’ve even fitted the Mega with a threaded bottom bracket and universal derailleur hangar for easy maintenance.
The Mega’s Horst-link suspension system has been retooled in this newest generation for suppleness over small bumps while remaining supportive on the climbs. Solid mid-stroke support balanced with relatively modest anti-squat gives the Mega an active rear end that feels shockingly efficient when pedaling uphill. Anti-squat reduces as you shift down the cassette and pick up speed, making the bike come alive on descents.
It’s a bike built for hot, nasty speed and big days in variable terrain; when less energy spent pedaling up means more in the tank for shredding down.
|Frame||Nukeproof Mega V4 297 Alloy, 165mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, internal cable routing, ISCG 05 mount, Enduro Bearings, Threaded 73mm BB, Boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured Rubber frame protection.||Nukeproof Mega V4 297 Alloy, 165mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, internal cable routing, ISCG 05 mount, Enduro Bearings, Threaded 73mm BB, Boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured Rubber frame protection.||Nukeproof Mega V4 297 Alloy, 165mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, internal cable routing, ISCG 05 mount, Enduro Bearings, Threaded 73mm BB, Boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured Rubber frame protection.|
|Fork||RockShox Domain, Motion Control RC damper, 170mm, 44mm Offset, BOOST, Debonair, Gloss Black||RockShox ZEB Select + Charger 2.1 RC 170mm, 44mm Offset, BOOST, Debonair, Gloss Black|
|Shock||RockShox Super Deluxe Select R, Custom LIN L1 HOTDOG tune, 230x62.5mm, Bearing End, 2 bottomless tokens fitted.||RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT, Custom LIN L1 HOTDOG S320 tune, 230x62.5mm, Bearing End, 2 bottomless tokens fitted.||RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate RCT, Custom LIN L1 HOTDOG S320 tune, 230x62.5mm, Bearing End, 2 bottomless tokens fitted|
|Front Wheel||Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 29", 15x110mm||Nukeproof Neutron V2 29", Tubeless Ready, 32h, 110x15mm|
|Rear Wheel||Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 27.5", Shimano Microspline Driver, 148x12mm||Nukeproof Neutron V2 27.5", Tubeless Ready, 32h, SRAM XD Driver with 36 points of engagement, 148x12mm|
|Tyres||Front: Maxxis Assegai 29" x 2.5 WT, 3C MaxxGrip DD TR, Rear: Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5” x 2.4 WT, 3C MaxxTerra DD TR||Front: Maxxis Assegai 29" x 2.5 WT, 3C MaxxGrip DD TR, Rear: Maxxis Minion DHR II 27.5” x 2.4 WT, 3C MaxxTerra DD TR|
|Crankset||Race Face Ride,12 Speed Crank, 170mm, 32T, 52mm Chainline||SRAM Descendant 7K Eagle 12-Speed, 170mm, 32T, B148, DUB|
|Shifter||Shimano Deore M6100-IR, 12-speed Rapidfire Plus, I-Spec EV||SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed|
|Rear Deraileur||Shimano Deore M6100, SGS 12-Speed, Shadow Plus||SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed|
|Chain||Shimano Deore M6100 12-Speed||SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed|
|Cassette||Shimano Deore M6100 12-Speed (HYPERGLIDE+), 10-51T||SRAM GX Eagle 12-Speed, CS XG1275 EAGLE 10-52T|
|Chain Guide||MRP 1x CS, 28-34T, ISCG-05, black||Nukeproof Chain Guide with Bash, 28-36T, ISCG-05, black|
|Brakes||Shimano M6120 or SRAM DB8||SRAM Guide RE|
|Handlebars||Nukeproof Neutron V2 25mm Rise, Width - S780mm, M780mm, L800mm||Nukeproof Horizon V2 25mm Rise, Width - S780mm, M780mm, L800mm|
|Stem||Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm, black||Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm, black|
|Seatpost||Brand X Ascend internal, 31.6mm, S:125mm drop; M:150mm drop; L: 170mm Drop||Brand X Ascend internal, 31.6mm, S:125mm drop; M:150mm drop; L:170mm Drop|
|Headset||Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS||Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS||Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS|
|Grips||Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature||Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature|
|Weight: (Size Medium)||TBC (Tubeless)||15.49kg Medium Tubeless||3.82Kgs/8.4lbs (Medium)|
Geometry & Sizing
|(C) Effective Top Tube Length||567.71||592.71||610.87|
|(D) Seattube Length||380||410||440|
|(E) Effective Seattube Angle||77.5°||77.5°||78°|
|(F) Seattube Angle (Actual)||71°||71°||71.5°|
|(G) Saddle Height at Saddle Offset||650||700||750|
|(H) Saddle Offset at Saddle Height||142.22||158.59||166.66|
|(I) Headtube Length||100||100||120|
|(J) Headtube Angle||64°||64°||64°|
|(K) Chainstay Length||435||435||435|
|(L) Front Centre||758.5||783.5||812.11|
|(N) Bottom Bracket Drop||30/10||30/10||30/10|
|(O) Bottom Bracket Height||345||345||345|
|(P) Stand Over Height||721.75/725.16||720.28/724.41||721.3/722.92|
|(Q) Fork Travel||170||170||170|
|(S) Fork Offset||42||42||42|
|(T) Axle to Crown||584||584||584|
|(U) Maximum Seatpost Insert||216mm||245mm||270mm|
*All dimensions in mm unless otherwise stated
- Frame Spec
- Industry Reviews
- Tech Docs
- Where can I buy Nukeproof Bikes?
- Nukeproof bikes, components and apparel is sold through an authorised dealer network. Check out our dealer locator for your local local stockist or preferred online store www.nukeproof.com/dealers
- Do your bikes come with Warranty?
- All Mega frames come with a 5 year frame warranty (Please visit www.nukeproof.com/warranty for full info). On top of that we also offer an extended 2-year warranty on all components excluding wear and tear items such as bearings, brake pads, chains & cassettes etc. Our Warranty policy applies to the original owner and processed by our authorised retail partners. To see their warranty process check: www.nukeproof.com/warranty
- Where can I demo a Nukeproof bike?
- We run numerous demo's through the year at major events and with our dealer network. Check out www.nukeproof.com/demo for when we may be near you. If this is unavailable to you, you can always request a demo through your local authorised stockist.
- What size bike do I need?
- All our products come with a size guide. This is designed as an indication of the size that may suit you. If you are still unsure speak with one of our dealers who will be happy to help you pick the right size and model for you.
- How does you bike range work?
- Our range is named based on specification level. Not every Bike Frame will have each specification level, but in order of price they run: Sport - Race - Comp - Pro - Elite- Factory/ST (Reactor Only) - RS
- Can I fit a coil shock to my Mega?
- Simple answer is yes, the Mega suspension curve will suit a coil shock if you want to run one. In recent years air shocks have come along way and we prefer the feel and performance of them (as do all our pro team) which is why we choose to fit air shocks to all our frames and bikes. Should you wish to buy a coil shock you will need a shock size: 230x62.5mm using 25x8mm (front) and 30x8mm (rear) hardware.
|Axle to Crown:||584mm|
|Wheels Size:||29" Front / 27.5" Rear|
|Max Tyre Size:||2.6"|
|Recommended Shock Sag (Measured seated):||30-35%|
|Shock Hardware F:||25x8mm|
|Shock Hardware R:||30x8mm|
|Headtube:||44-56mm Tapered Semi-Integrated|
|Headset:||ZS44-28.6 - T2 / ZS56/40 - B8|
|Bearings Required:||4x F6802 LLU MAX, 4x 6902 LLU MAX, 2x F6902 LLU MAX-EA|
|Seatpost:||31.6mm (Internal Routing for Dropper Seatpost)|
|BB:||Threaded 73mm BSA|
|Rear Hub:||Boost 148x12mm|
|Rear Axle:||SRAM UDH Maxle Stealth M12x1.0 180mm (Thread Length 13mm)|
|Brake Mount:||180mm Direct Post|
|Protection:||3D Contoured Rubber Frame Protection for DT/SS/CS|